HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

Are potato skins poisonous?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
freespirit
sr. newbie

PostSubject: Are potato skins poisonous?   Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 am

Question I've heard that potato skins are actually poisonous if digested and was wondering if this is indeed fact? I know that when I eat any potatoes that have shins on them ( baked potatoes or home fries with the peelings on) I get really bad head aches. if this is true why then do they serve potato skins in the restaurants?.. Is it true that if you feed animals potato peels they will not eat them?.. I have also heard that when potatoes start sprouting that the poison from the sprouts can not be cut away. Could someone please shed some light on this? thanks Question
Back to top Go down
Johnnie Appleseed
Gold member

PostSubject: Re: Are potato skins poisonous?   Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm

The skins of potatoes alone are not poisonous. However, if the potatoes have begun to sprout, the skin around the sprouting, and the potatoe below that, may contain poisonous materiasl.

The chemical in question is solanine, a toxin that forms in the sprouts and green parts of potatoes. You can avoid it by cutting away sprouts ("eyes") from potatoes and peeling them below any green layer. And don't eat any potatoes that taste bitter; the flavor might indicate the presence of solanine.

Potatoes contain glycoalkaloids, toxic compounds, of which the most prevalent are solanine and chaconine.

Breeders try to keep solanine levels below 200 mg/kg (200 ppmw). However, when these commercial varieties turn green, even they can approach concentrations of solanine of 1000 mg/kg (1000 ppmw). In normal potatoes, analysis has shown solanine levels may be as little as 3.5% of the breeders' maximum, with 7-187 mg/kg being found.

The poison is found throughout the plant, but especially in green potatoes and new sprouts. Never eat potatoes that are spoiled or green below the skin. Always throw away the sprouts.

Potatoes that are not green and have had any sprouts removed are safe to eat.

Symptoms
* Delirium
* Diarrhea
* Dilated pupils
* Fever
* Hallucinations
* Headache
* Loss of sensation
* Lower than normal body temperature (hypothermia)
* Paralysis
* Shock
* Slow pulse
* Slowed breathing
* Stomach or abdominal pain
* Vision changes
* Vomiting

Hope this answers your question..

Back to top Go down
2wires2go

PostSubject: Re: Are potato skins poisonous?   Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:07 am

I've eaten potato skins all my life and never had a problem. Not that they are part of every meal, but generally when I have a potato, I eat the skin. This includes russets, gold and blue potatoes, all kinds. I wouldn't worry too much.
Back to top Go down
Irishrick
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Are potato skins poisonous?   Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:21 pm

I too have always eaten the potato skins as I am too lazy to peal the spuds ... Hasn't hurt me yet geek

Back to top Go down
http://grey-bruceforums.forumotion.com

Are potato skins poisonous?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1